Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Do all posts really have to have a title? Seriously...

Well, still no HUGE news in my life here in Lannion. But, as such, I've had time to notice some of the little things here that really strike me as different. As you can imagine, living in a completely different country can have some major differences. I first came here when I was in third grade and have a mother who is obsessed with French culture, so naturally I've been jaded to these major differences for some time now... But regardless there are still certain things that really strike me. So in order to explain these differences I have comprised a list.

1. Soda cans are weighted:
I have no proof on paper for this one... But I swear the weight of the cans here is different, every time I finish my soda, it feels like there is a little left in the can. So naturally I take a sip, only to discover the can is empty... I know I'm not crazy... I think they weight the bottom of the cans here to save a little extra cash.

2. Only caramel corn at cinemas:
Besides the fact that I say "cinema" more often than "movie theater" now, there are many other different things about them. Like the lack of buttered popcorn. I saw a movie with some friends last week and was surprised to get this tasty treat in lieu of buttered popcorn. I was sure that it was some special promotion or something, but no one really mentioned it. So when I finally asked if they have buttered popcorn, he replied as such: "You guys put BUTTER on your popcorn?!."

3. They really do call it a Royal with cheese.
Nuf said.

4. The kissy-thing, shaking hands, and personal space:
As I become more integrated into my school society, I begin to greet more than 2 people every day. And here there are two distinct ways to greet people. For girls, you do a bisou... or something spelled along those lines... This is nothing more than a kissing-like motion on each cheek of every girl you know the first time you see them for the day. (This takes FOREVER, and frankly the kissy sound everyone makes gets annoying after the 12th time in a row.) But for men/boys here, a simple hand shake is all you need to greet one another. Not many 'knucks over here. (Unless of course they're doing it to humor you.) I find all of this just fine, but for me, I've always been accustomed to giving hugs to people when they leave and the traditional man hug thing all American guys do. You know what I'm talking about. But then again, I suppose I get my fill of physical contact whenever a line is involved. The French must be the most impatient people on the planet, because every time there is a line to get into somewhere, there is a massive crowd of people surrounding it with little or no space between people. It's like a clown car without the car. I personally could do without this. Oh well.

Obviously there's more but those are the main points that I've noticed...

On a more positive note, I've finally consulted with my school on what exactly they expect from me as an exchange student. I'm still not sure. I guess I just need to engage a little more in class... Which I GUESS I can do. On a happy note, Spanish is no more! Soon I will be taken out of my Spanish class, which is amazing because frankly I do less in that class than in my others... That's really hard to do by the way.


Well I think that's it for now! Ill update soon...ish... At the latest, Oct 11-12th.
Talk to you all soon!

7 comments:

  1. Good stuff, as ever Max. (What movie/s did you see? Movie francais or American avec French subtitles or dubbed or ???) : - )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max,
    I'm not big on blogging, Facebook etc. I do get sucked into Youtube videos. That said, I enjoy your blog and I'm glad your Dad forwards the link.

    Maybe someday I'll get to Europe. I'm glad to hear you won't be taking Spanish as taught by a French speaking teacher. Talk about a double whammy. At least work on the French while there!! Ha
    What's the drinking age over there?
    Oh. We have a new kitten, that Erika rescued from her apartment building but can't keep because her roommate is allergic to cats, so now we have three kittens. Reason I'm mentioning this is I want to call him Max. He's cool, red, and has a big fluffy tail. Not at all intimidated by the dogs, which esp. frustrates Miles. He wants them to "run" so he can "chase" them, like tennis balls with legs.
    Later,
    Uncle Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear you're doing well over there! What does a growing college student have to eat... cheese burgers, fries, pizza, mac 'n cheese, or Ramon noodles?
    Hope all is well.
    Love ya,
    Uncle Pete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad, I saw resident evil after life, it was dubbed in french and pretty ridiculous haha

    Uncle Mike, Haha, the drinking age is legally 18, but no one really cares apparently. And really? I'd be happy with a cool cat having my name. So feel free!

    And in regards to what college students eat here? mostly what their mother's cook for them, because here "college" is elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But can you get a nice, dripping hot piece of pizza or cheese burger? I certainly hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a McDonald's close by, that's pretty much the same as home. Not so much pizza though haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les bisous are annoying after awhile, but what are you going to do? Royal with cheese - when did you see that movie!??

    ReplyDelete